Going Automated – Lessons Learned
Tecan pipetting from 1.5ml Eppendorf tubes
Making the leap from manual laboratory processes to automation is loaded with benefits but be aware of the challenges.
In this Lab Manager article, labs share the benefits and the difficulties of transitioning to automation.
- Time and Cost Efficiency – Improve throughput
- Improve data quality – Accuracy and sample tracking
- Ergonomics – Reduce repetitive injury and free up scientists
- Support miniaturization of processes
- Cut labor expense and utilizing scientist where they are of most value
- Moral booster – Scientist are focused on science not repetitive pipetting
- Choose instrument and vendor wisely – It’s more than just hardware price
- Environment Specifications – Space and utilities to support instrument
- Change may not occur quickly
- Leadership must be on board – Focus on staying the course
Let automation help perform the science better –